M.S. THESIS: Master of Science in Medicine and Cardiovascular Diseases, University of Minnesota,
Mayo Clinic, 1971: “The Role of Magnesium Deficiency in Thyrocardiac Disorders”
- M. El Shahawy, M.D., "The Effect of Magnesium Deficiency on the Cardiovascular System", Physiology, The Clinic Bulletin, Vol. 49, No. 7, February 12, 1971.
- M. El Shahawy, M.D., et al "Selected Observations Hyperthyroid, Magnesium-Deficient Dogs, The Clinic Bulletin, Vol. 49, No. 16, April 16, 1971.
- M. El Shahawy, M.D., and N.C. Flowers, M.D.; "Unexplained Fever and Chills Associated with Myocardial Infarction"; 1972, Chest Volume 62, No. 3: 263-265.
- M. El Shahawy, MD., R.D. Smith, 1973, D.A. Scholz, and K.G. Wakim; "Magnesium Deficiency and the Hyperthyroid Heart"; Published in the Communication of the First International Symposium on Magnesium in Human Pathology, Pages 485-489, 1973 (Imp.-Amelot, France).
- M.A. Stefadouros, M.D., W. Grossman, M.D., M. El Shahawy, M.D., and A.C. Witham,M.D.; "The Effect of Isometric Exercise on Left Ventricular Volume in Man"; Circulation V, XLIX: 1185-1189, June 1974.
- M. El Shahawy, M.D., and L. Crevasse, M.D.; "Echocardiography"; Journal of Florida Medical Association, Vol. 61: 699-702, 1974.
- M.A. Stefadouros, M.D., W. Grossman, M.D., M. El Shahawy, M.D., F. Stefadouros, and A. Calhoun Witham, M.D.; "Non-lnvasive Study of the Effect of Isometric Exercise on Left Ventricular Performance in Normal Man"; British Heart Journal, Vol. 36: 988-995, 1974.
- M. El Shahawy, M.D., N.A. Stefadouros, M.D., A.A. Carr, and C.R. Conti, M.D.; "Direct Effect of Thyroid Hormone on Intracardiac Conduction in Acute and Chronic Hyperthyroid Animals"; Cardiovascular Research Journal, 9(4)-524-531, 1975.
- M.A. Stefadouros, M.D., M. El Shahawy, M.D., F. Stefadouros, B.S., and A.C. Witham, M.D.; "The Effect of Upright Tilt on the Volume of the Failing Human Left Ventricle”; American Heart Journal, December 1975.
- M. El Shahawy, M.D., R. Graybeal, M.D., C.J. Pepin, M.D., and C.R. Conti, M.D.; "Aortic Valve Prolapse- Diagnosis by Echocardiography"; Chest, March 1976.
- M.A. Stefadouros, M.D., M. El Shahawy, MD., and A. Calhoun Witham, M.D.; "Soschin in Georgia: A Case of Acute Fulminant Cardiac Beri-Beri."; J. Medical Association Georgia; 56: 149, 1976.
- M. El Shahawy, M.D., R.M. Tucker, H.W. Warner, R.E. Smith; "Hyperthyroidism and Potassium" (Letter to the Editor); J.A.M.A.; 217: 969.
- John O. Parker, M.D., et. al.... M. El Shahawy, MD., (Minitran Clinical Study Center); "Intermittent Trans- dermal Nitroglycerin Therapy in Angina Pectoris"; Circulation, Vol. 91, No. 5, Pages 1368-1374, March 1995.
- Henry R. Black, MD, et al.. M. El Shahawy, MD, "Rationale and Design for the Controlled Onset Verapamil Investigation of Cardiovascular Endpoints (CONVINCE) Trial"; Controlled Clinical Trials 19:370-390 (1998).
- Roger M. Mills, MD, et al..M. El Shahawy, MD, “Sustained Hemodynamic Effects of n Infusion of Nesiritide (Human b-Type Natriuretic Peptide) in Heart Failure”, A randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Clinical Trial, Journal of the American College of Cardiology, Vol. 34, No. 1, 1999, ISSN 0735-1097/99.
- Bjorn Fagerber, M.D., et al.... M. El Shahawy, M.D., "Effect of Metroprolol CR/XL in Chronic Heart Failure: Metroprolol CR/XL Randomized Intervention Trial In Congestive Heart Failure (MERIT-HF), The Lancet. Saturday June 12, 1999. Vol. 353, No. 9169.
- Barry M. Brenner, et al..M. El Shahawy, MD: “The losartan renal protection study – rationale study design and baseline characteristics of RENAAL (Reduction of Endpoints in NIDDM with the Angiotensin II Antagonist Losartan) Journal of the Renin Angiotensin Aldosterone System Vol. 1, No. 4 December 2000.(Pages 328-335)
- ”AFFIRM” investigators, et al...M.El Shahawy, MD “ A comparison of Rate Control and Rhythm Control in Patients with Atrial Fibrillation” New England Journal of Medicine, Vol.347, No.23. Dec 5, 2002.
- A Calcium Antagonist vs a Non–Calcium Antagonist Hypertension Treatment Strategy for Patients With Coronary Artery Disease The International Verapamil-Trandolapril Study (INVEST): A Randomized Controlled Trial for the INVEST Investigators JAMA. 2003;290:2805-2816.
- Metabolic Effects of Carvedilol vs Metoprolol in Patients ...Early Release Article Mahfouz El Shahawy, MD (Sarasota), supported in part by a National Institutes of Health JAMA November 2004
- Efficacy and Safety of Darusentan in Patients With Resistant Hypertension: Results From a Randomized, Double- Blind, Placebo-Controlled Dose-Ranging Study. Henry R Black , George L Bakris , Michael A Weber , Robert Weiss , Mahfouz El Shahawy , Richard Marple , Georges Tannoury , Stuart Linas , Brian L Wiens , Jennifer V Linseman , Robert Roden , Michael J Gerber. J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich). 2007 Oct 9 (10):760-769 17917503.
- Achieving Low-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol Goals in High-Risk Patients in Managed Care: Comparison of Rosuvastatin, Atorvastatin, and Simvastatin in the SOLAR trial- William Insull, Jr, MD, Jalal K. Ghali, MD, David R. Hassman, DO, Joseph W. Ycas, PhD, Sanjay K. Gandhi, Mayo Clinic Proceedings May 2007 vol. 82 no. 5, 543-550
- Effect of Niacin Extended Release and Lovastatin tablets on Jan 17, 2009 Mahfouz El Shahawy, MD, Principal Investigator. Your Integrative Health and Wellness Resource for Walking Success Stories. July 12, 2009
- Jenifer G. Robinson, M.D., et al.... Mahfouz El Shahawy, M.D., "Efficacy and Safety of Alirocumab in Reducing Lipids and Cardiovascular Events" New England Journal of Medicine, March 15, 2015.