All professionals at Cardiovascular Center of Sarasota maintain the highest levels of accreditation and pursue ongoing education to stay abreast of the latest trends in the field of cardiology. Read on to learn more about our staff's experience and training.
Dr. El Shahawy is a civic-minded physician and family man with an exceptional academic and administrative background. He has proven to be an uncompromising campaigner for medical excellence in Sarasota County for over 40 years and serves as Clinical Professor of Medicine at the University of Florida and University of South Florida. Dr. El Shahawy is a current Board of Trustees member for both American Society of Preventive Cardiology (ASPC) and Association of Black Cardiologists (ABC). Dr. El Shaway also served as the medical director of the Cardiovascular Disease prevention program at Sarasota Memorial Hospital and currently serves as Medical Director for the Cardiovascular Health Assessment Center at the Cardiovascular Center of Sarasota.
Specialty Certifications And Post-Graduate Degrees
- Diplomat of the Certification Board Cardiovascular Computed Tomography (CBCCT) 2010
- Level 111 Re-certification by the Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography (SCCT) 2011
- Level 111 Certification by the Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography (SCCT) 2008
- Certified by the American Board of Cardiovascular Diseases #034604 1981
- Certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine #034604 1977
- Certified by the Canadian Board of Internal Medicine (written) 1975
- Master of Science, Medicine/Cardiovascular Diseases; University of Minnesota Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 1971
- Diploma of Medicine/Cardiovascular Diseases; University of Vienna, Austria 1966
- Diploma of Medicine; University of Vienna, Austria 1962
State Board Certifications And Licenses
- E.C.F.M.G. (#63359) 1966
- Florida State Board of Medical Examiners (#20619) 1973
- Georgia State Board of Medical Examiners (# 15621) 1973
- "FLEX" (with reciprocity in 49 states) 1973
- Certification by the Florida Medical Association for “Instructional Program on Accreditation for Continuing Medical Education” 1999/2000
- Basic and Advanced Cardiac Life Support by the American Heart Association May 2007
- Instructor for AHA BLS and ACLS courses October 2007
- Certified by SCCT [Society for Cardiovascular Computed Tomography] Level 2 March 2008
- Certified by SCCT [Society for Cardiovascular Computed Tomography] Level 3 July 2008
During his entire professional life, Dr. Shahawy has worked with the leading edge of advancement of medical procedures, techniques and systems in private practice, in academic research at the University of Vienna, the Mayo Clinic, the Medical College of Georgia and as a faculty member of the School of Medicine at the University of Florida.
In California with sons family, December 2015
To mention just a few, after graduating “Summa Cum Laude” from the University of Vienna in 1962, Dr. Shahawy accepted a Scholarship for Residency Training in Medicine and Cardiology at the world renowned Vienna University Hospitals, where he spent 5 years. In 1967, Dr. Shahawy moved to the U.S.A. and after one year at a New York Medical Center, he accepted Fellowship training at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota for 3 years.
In Sarasota, FL with daughter's family. December 2015
In 1971, Dr. Shahawy moved to the Medical College of Georgia, in Augusta, where he served for another 2 years as Senior Fellow and Instructor in Cardiology at Talmadge Teaching Hospital. In 1973, Dr. Shahawy was invited to join the faculty of the Shands Teaching Hospital at the Professorial Level as a full time Senior Faculty Member and Consulting Cardiologist where he spent 3 years teaching medical students and young doctors including medical interns, residents, and fellows to take care of medical and cardiac problems.
In December 1975, Dr. Shahawy moved to Sarasota and has been in private practice since and holds a Clinical appointment as full Clinical Professor of Medicine at the University of Florida and University of South Florida. Dr. Shahawy is currently affiliated with both Sarasota Memorial Hospital, Doctors Hospital, and Lakewood Ranch Hospital.